Whether you’re walking along the beach, cruising the waters of a Midlands lake or standing atop a granite dome overlooking the Blue Ridge Mountains, watching the sun make its daily dip below the horizon is one of the most relaxing—and romantic—ways to usher in the evening.
With South Carolina’s diversity of beautiful landscapes, you’ll find just the right spot to watch the sunset wherever your travels take you.
Here are 10 great places—and ways—to see a sunset in South Carolina:
1. Columbia’s Sheraton Hotel Rooftop Lounge. The view of the State House is enough reason to visit the 17th floor of Columbia’s oldest high-rise. But don’t miss the opportunity to toast the day as you watch a spectacular sunset over the capital city skyline.
2. Charleston Waterfront Park. With its stunning view of Charleston Harbor and the iconic Ravenel bridge, Waterfront Park is a favorite gathering place for visitors and residents, especially at sunset when the sky over the water turns a brilliant yellow, orange and red.
3. Skull Creek Boathouse on Hilton Head Island. Ask for a table on the sprawling, tree-shaded patio and enjoy a beautiful sunset over Skull Creek while you dine on some of the freshest seafood in town. You can bring Fido, too!
4. Hickory Knob State Park in McCormick. Overlooking Lake Thurmond, this piedmont resort park offers front-row seats to a breathtaking sunset over the water.
5. Forty Acre Rock Heritage Preserve in Lancaster. An easy 2.5-mile trail leads to the crest of the gently sloping namesake rock, where hikers are treated to a view of the surrounding Sandhills—and one of the prettiest sunsets in the Olde English District.
6. Blue Ridge Brewing Company in Greer. Along with an awesome menu of appetizers, entrees and award-winning, handcrafted ales, the brewpub’s rooftop dining area offers visitors a sunset to remember.
7. Sassafras Mountain in the Jocassee Gorges. You know you’re going to get a fantastic view from South Carolina’s highest point—and you don’t even have to break a sweat. The 3,350-foot peak is accessible by car, allowing you to catch the sunset and not worry about hiking out in the dark.
8. Sunset Paddle on Lake Moultrie. Blueway Adventures offers a relaxing guided kayak tour from Bonneau Beach. The two-hour Evening Escape culminates with a gorgeous sunset over the calm waters of the Santee Cooper reservoir.
10. Sunset Sail on Lake Murray. It doesn’t get more romantic than sailing off into the sunset with the one you love. The Happy Sails Club in Columbia offers private skippered sails on Lake Murray year round.